Before the turn of the 20th century, families had begun to settle beyond the limits of St. Louis city. Around 1890, the Maplewood Realty Company purchased several hundred acres of land from the heirs of James C. Sutton. This new housing development was named Maplewood and attracted approximately 75 families.
Responding to the needs of these people, on February 8, 1904, Archbishop Glennon authorized Rev. Daniel Clarke to organize a parish. Mass was first celebrated in March 1904, in a transformed abandoned feed store at Bellevue and Manchester. Later, property was purchased on Anna Avenue and work began almost immediately on a two-story brick building to serve as both church and school for the 324 families of the parish. On November 26, 1905, Archbishop Glennon dedicated this building to Our Lady, under the title of the Immaculate Conception. In 1906, the parish school, staffed by three Sisters of Loretto, opened with 115 students. The sisters commuted from Webster College until 1921 when a house next to the present church was rented for their use.
Under the direction of Rev. John P. Ryan the cornerstone for the present church building was laid on August 23, 1925. The present convent on the corner of Marshall and Anna was built in 1937. By 1944 new altars and windows were installed in the church and the last of the debt was paid. In 1951, the annex to the rectory was purchased; and in 1952, Rev. William McCarthy directed construction of the gym/parish hall addition to the school building.
The 1970’s were a time of great change for the parish. In 1971 the school closed because of declining enrollment. The interior of the church was renovated; the altar was moved closer to the people and the communion rail was removed. On June 12, 1975, the Missionaries of Our Lady of La Salette assumed pastoral responsibility for the parish. The La Salette Priests and Brothers brought an attitude of renewal and collaborative leadership to the parish, and they played an important role in the faith life of the community.
In February, 2006, the La Salette Community found it necessary to return the parish to the Archdiocese and Fr. James Gray assumed pastoral leadership of the parish.
In September, 2015, Fr. James Gray was transferred to St. Jude Parish and Fr. John Paul Hopping became Parochial Administrator of Immaculate Conception.
On March 28, 2016, Deacon Ken Clemens became Parish Life Coordinator, with Fr. John Paul Hopping serving as Sacramental Minister, and Very Rev. Msgr. John Leykam being named Pastor.